14 September 2010

HOT or NOT: Knutson Construction Services

From the moment that the Architect jettisoned the "builder" portion of master builder, Builders and trades people have had it out for us.  Builders are focused on the simple and practical matters: how two materials are connected, what height cabinets are to be installed, where the bathrooms are located, when their check is supposed to arrive, etc.  Architects are concerned with the intangible and experiential: how are the two materials in dialogue with each other, what height cabinet is the most comfortable for a human, where are the bathrooms in relation to the bedrooms, when am I ever going to get paid, etc.  I believe the animosity is bred from each thinking they can do the other's job better.  White collar vs blue collar.  Sweating under the sun vs eye strain from a computer screen.  In reality, the best architect is one who admits what he knows and what he does not know.  I often defer to the man/woman in the field to see how they would do a task to help me understand the limitations and constraints.  From there, a design solution can be reached.

In the case of the Knutson Construction Services building in Rochester, the Builder is on display...and the Architect apparently fell asleep at the keyboard.  Remember, this is from the design standpoint, as their is plenty of construction expertise on display and I can find little fault in the implementation of the vision.  It is just that the vision is apparently clouded with other visions of bad buildings.

The verdict is...NOT



The theme is apparent: display the construction abilities of this full service general contractor and use the Knutson name and logo as an element of design.  I appreciate the prowess of the contractor both in the cast-in-place structural elements and in the consistency of masonry work.  My issue is with the decision to abstract the "K" to the point where it no longer is a recognizable allegory.  I am huge fan of abstraction, but there is a fine line between abstraction and a different idea all together.  In this case, the angles of the concrete and roof lines and even the retaining wall on the backside of the building are all different and unrelated.  I even tried to look at the front entry from a bunch of different angles to see if the concrete or shadows would all of a sudden reveal themselves in a DaVinci Code moment of recognition.  I got nothing.  Either this is a colossal oversight or there is an unbelievably masterful concept hidden that is beyond my (or anyone else's) comprehension.


I detest design moves for design moves' sake.  I believe that there should be more meaning behind each line on the page, or each material in a composition, especially when it comes to modern architecture.  For me, this design is largely unresolved.  It is a spec office building that is slightly askew on the site and uses great materials in an incongruous fashion.  Key details that make my skin crawl are apparent in the dominating blue rooftop louver screens that were an attempt at integrating with the architecture of the roof line, as well as the southwest elevation which apparently wasn't understood would be the face that most people would see driving north on Highway 52.   

Southwest Elevation, a.k.a. The Most Interesting Facade in the World

I guess when it comes right down to it, the means justify the end.  By that I mean the craftsmanship and skill of the Builder gives this building its design.  The Builder wins this round for showcasing their skill and making the Architect look foolish.  I consider this a good example of why we need a more critical lens for evaluating the built environment.  Just because something is different, doesn't necessarily mean it is good.  When you pass this building on Highway 52 do you automatically think, "wow, that is cool" or do you think, "hmm, that is different." 


There were elements and details that I did actually enjoy.  The monumentality of the cast-in-place concrete was fantastic.  As an entrance element it works really well, I just wish there was some more meaning there.  Also the detail at the top of the front curtain wall is difficult to achieve (such as small cap at the roof line) and shows some creativity in the assembly of the system.  But as I drove away I felt relieved that this building was tucked away on the northwest side of town and not in my neighborhood.  The next time you drive by, be sure to look for the elusive "K," I know it has to be in there somewhere!!

No comments:

Post a Comment